Daily care & maintenance
To protect your hardwood floor and preserve its beauty, you should establish a proper care & maintenance routine to keep your flooring looking its best.
Routine care instructions:
- For spots such as candle wax or chewing gum, harden the spot with ice and then gently scrape with a plastic scraper, such as a credit card. Be careful not to scratch the flooring surface. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- For tough stains, use Shaw's R2X Hard Surfaces Flooring Cleaner.
- Do not use any type of buffing machine.
- Use protective mats at each doorway and encourage the removal of shoes prior to entering your home.
- Maintain a normal indoor relative humidity level between 45 and 65% throughout the year to minimize the natural expansion and contraction of wood.
- Use a dolly when moving heavy furniture or appliances.
Dealing with spills & stains
- Use a damp cloth to blot spills and spots as soon as they happen. For tough spots, such as oil, paint, markers, lipstick, ink, tar, or cigarette marks, use acetone/nail polish remover on a clean white cloth, then wipe with a damp cloth. Always avoid allowing liquids to stand on your floor.
- Sweep, dust, or vacuum the floor regularly with the hard floor attachment (not the beater bar) to prevent the accumulation of dirt or grit that can scratch or dull the floor finish.
- Occasionally wipe the floor with a damp mop or cloth.